Updates!!! Liverpool have new top midfield target as Khephren Thuram agent sparks transfer intrigue

The transfer window is now fully open, and the ECHO examines what to anticipate as numerous midfielders continue to be evaluated.

The AXA Training Center has already welcomed Alexis Mac Allister this month, so Liverpool supporters may have been forgiven for not being aware that the transfer window only just opened on Wednesday.

However, the fact that the Reds secured a £35 million deal for the World Cup champion of Argentina less than two weeks after the regular season concluded is a neon-lit indication that this summer’s squad construction will be proactive.

With Mac Allister, 24, already committed to a five-year contract for what is anticipated to be the pinnacle of his career, focus has rapidly shifted within the club as a crucial window for player trade is now formally upon them.

The brief arrival of Jorg Schmadtke at the beginning of the month has caused Liverpool to change its sporting director’s profile, but the work on the Mac Allister transfer was done by the organization’s previous sporting director, Julian Ward, along with chief scout Barry Hunter, head of recruitment Dave Fallows, and others.

Prior to the World Cup in December, Liverpool identified Mac Allister as one of their top targets. After deciding earlier this year to abandon their efforts to try to entice Jude Bellingham, who was headed to Real Madrid, to Anfield, the Brighton midfielder rose to the top of the shortlist.

Mac Allister recently traveled from Las Vegas to Miami and then to the North West of England to complete his move to Liverpool. He is currently in Beijing to consider participating in Argentina’s upcoming encounter against Australia before a match against Indonesia on June 19 in Jakarta.

However, if the new No. 10 thought his schedule was hectic, it is probably just as busy for those charged with reorganizing a Liverpool team that only a few weeks ago suffered its worst result since 2016.

The purchase for Mac Allister marked the official transition of power from Ward to Schmadtke, and the 59-year-old German must now show why it was he who was chosen to lead a successful Liverpool summer over other sporting directors around Europe. For famous goalie Schmadtke, it’s the biggest assignment of his career, and it’s a crucial window for the team.

If that’s the general belief of the fans, it appears to have crept into the playing staff as well, as Ibrahima Konate acknowledged that there is work to be done off the field in preparation for the upcoming season.

Konate, who is now representing France internationally, told RMC: “Of course, I think everyone knows that [the squad needs rejuvenating],” Konate added. “I believe the manager and those in charge of recruiting are aware that we require fresh players.

“I believe that we will lose four players this year: James Milner, Firmino, Naby Keita, and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. They need to be replaced. How do we replace them if we don’t? Do we lack quality and sufficient staff? At that level, you can’t play with kids.

On his own international duties as the captain of the Netherlands, Konate’s colleague center-back Virgil van Dijk also alluded to the need for more reinforcement. The vice captain of the Reds and the team’s number four stated of the signing of Mac Allister: “So it is a good start to the transfer window and hopefully we get a couple of more quality additions.” However, he is unquestionably one of the guys that may help us in the coming years.

The need for a significant rebuild has been acknowledged by Klopp less and less over the course of this year, and the Reds manager revealed that he was anticipating a busy postseason following his team’s 4-4 draw with Southampton on the final day of the Premier League season.

Klopp made a clear allusion to transfers when he said, “I have a break – I don’t have training and those kinds of things – but a pretty busy period hopefully starts now as well in a different area of the game.” The arrival of Mac Allister is a good start, but the emphasis now is on strengthening the midfield in light of the exits of striker Roberto Firmino and forwards James Milner, Naby Keita, and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

A successor for Firmino, particularly one with the seniority and experience of the Brazilian, doesn’t seem likely at this time with Cody Gakpo, Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez, and Diogo Jota supporting Mohamed Salah up front.

But midfield is a very different matter. Liverpool reaffirmed why they have gained a coveted reputation for hiring in recent years after finalizing the terms for Mac Allister’s relatively modest relocation. They must now provide further proof.

It was intriguing to hear Konate remark this week about connections to his international teammate while Khephren Thuram of OGC Nice in Ligue 1 is actually being considered.

“I would be very happy for [Thuram] to come to Liverpool and I would take him under my wing and I would do everything for him to progress and become the player he wants to become,” Konate added before referring to the midfielder as his “little brother”.

Manu Kone of Borussia Mochengladbach and Gabri Veiga of Celta Vigo are also on Liverpool’s longer-than-usual shortlist, and the 19-year-old Romeo Lavia of Southampton has drawn praise after making an impression in his first season in the Premier League after joining from Manchester City last year.

Early this year, Bayern Munich’s Ryan Gravenberch emerged as a top target, and in April, rumours suggested that Liverpool talked with the player’s agent. The person who represents Thuram is Rafaella Pimenta. Even if Gravenberch was a bit player at the Allianz Arena last season, the German champions’ unwillingness to sell is currently a roadblock.

This week, Gravenberch was cited as stating, “There may be plans with me.” “I haven’t really discussed that with the trainer yet; I’ll do so once I return from Georgia and Romania after the European Championship. Then, we’ll assess the situation.

Pimenta’s Instagram account on Wednesday morning appeared to show her visiting the Nice offices, which was an intriguing development as speculation about a move for Thuram heats up now that the window is officially open. Although Anfield has long accepted that there must be some degree of agility and fluidity in terms of player trade this summer, the France international may currently be at the top of that wishlist.

Given the lackluster performance of their previous campaign, the pool of players who can help the squad is deeper than in recent years, but a recurring feature among those being evaluated is their average age.

Lavia is the youngest at 19, while Kone and Thuram both had their 22nd birthdays in March and May, respectively. Meanwhile, Veiga and Gravenberch are both 21 years old. For the upcoming season, Klopp is searching for a youngster with untapped potential to develop into his Liverpool midfield.

many years after tricking the more knowledgeable Mac Allister into breaking the window. With Spain still to finalize its roster, all are expected to be a part of the squads competing in this month’s Under-21 European Championships in Romania and Georgia.

Mason Mount had been a target for the Reds, but because Chelsea refused to lower their outrageous asking price of between £60 million and £70 million, Manchester United is now the front-runner. However, the Londoners apparently need to sell a few players by the end of this month so that the sales may be taken into account in their yearly financial results. That fact alone may indicate that the Reds are still prepared for any changes to those conditions at Stamford bridge.

 

With regard to Levi Colwill, who has supporters in the AXA Centre’s halls of power, that scenario would potentially be advantageous for Liverpool. Colwill has a lot of potential as the Reds evaluate the runners and riders for a prospective young defensive recruit. The 20-year-old’s left-sided powers have drawn attention. He played 16 times for a Brighton team that concluded the season by earning a spot in the Europa League for the first time ever.

However, there are a number of hurdles the Reds will need to clear if they want to get Colwill, since Brighton have had £30 million bids rejected by Chelsea and the Londoners are probably unlikely to sell to a significant Premier League competitor.

Now that the window is officially open, it promises to be an exciting time for Liverpool and will significantly affect how well the team recovers from a forgettable season.

 

 

 

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*